First HoDs Roundtable Conference – April 2013
(The summary has been extracted from an article previously published in Archi Times during the year 2013. Ar. Monayya Zafar has authored the original article.)
The first Roundtable Conference of the Board of Architectural Education (BAE) was held on the 29th of April 2013. The event intended to bring together the heads of architecture schools in order to discuss their mutual goals and streamline a path towards their achieve¬ment. In this regard, the event was fairly successful since the representatives of seventeen schools of architecture came together from all over the country.
The Heads of Department (HoDs) of different schools shared their vision, efforts and concerns regard-ing the development of their institutions. Main points in discussion included;
• General perception towards architecture in pres¬ent times within various contexts.
• Registration of architects after five years without an exam.
• Growing female to male ratio in architecture institutions.
• The dearth of architectural educators in stark con¬trast to the fast emerging schools of architecture.
• The importance of study trips for students in or¬der to expand their horizons and provide them with exposure.
• The need to document and appraise work by local architects to use as inspiration and teaching aids.
• The importance of need based scholarships for students as incentives and assistance in architec¬tural education.
• Setting up a framework for a professional IAP Journal of Architecture in Pakistan to promote se¬rious writing and research on architecture.
• Formation of Architecture Students Association of Pakistan (ASAP).
It was unanimously agreed that schools should not work in isolation. Thus, the participants agreed to strengthen links with local and foreign schools; learn from each other’s strengths and weaknesses.