The BAE-IAP- KC- 1st Roundtable of Schools of Architecture - August 2016
First BAE-IAP Roundtable Meeting engaging the heads of schools of architecture in Karachi was held on August 13, 2016 at Beach Luxury Hotel to which all heads of Architecture School in the province of Sindh and Baluchistan were invited. The meeting was hosted by IAP-Karachi Chapter.
With the agenda of “Resource Sharing – Possibilities and Mechanism", the meeting was set to discuss the possibilities of sharing resources including human resources, physical resource and intellectual resources among various institutions in the provinces of Sindh and Baluchistan to further reinforce the existing strength of the schools specially during the Final year thesis. Moreover, suggestions were invited as to how to standardize the Final year thesis program and grading criteria across Pakistan.
Following members attended the meeting.
1. Ar. Ali Zafar Qazi, President Institute of Architects Pakistan (IAP)
2. Ar. Arif Changezi, Chairman IAP-Karachi Chapter
3. Ar. Arshad Faruqui, Chairman Board of Architectural Education - Institute of Architects Pakistan
4. Ar. Farida Abdul Ghaffar, Honorary Secretary, BAE-IAP
5. Ar. / Plnr. Sadia Fazli, University of Karachi (KU)
6. Ar. Rabi Siddiqui, Dawood University of Engineering and Technology (DUET), Karachi
7. Ar. Azra Alvi, Balochistan University of IT, Engineering and Management Sciences (BUITEMS), Quetta
8. Dr. Naeem Irfan, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology (MUET), Jamshoro
9. Ar. Sami Chohan, Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture (IVSAA), Karachi
10. Ar. Fazal Noor, Sir Syed University of Engineering and Technology (SSUET), Karachi
11. Dr. Bhai Khan Shar, Center of Excellence in Art and Design (CEAD), Jamshoro
12. Dr. Anila Naeem, NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
Leave of absence was granted to Dr. Ali Akbar Hussain, Nazeer Hussain University (NHU), Karachi. Three architects attended the meeting as observers as follows:
1. Ar. Jawed Makhdoom, Center of Excellence in Art and Design, Jamshoro
2. Ar. Yasira Naeem Pasha, Dawood University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
3. Ar. Fahad Nizamani, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro
The meeting started with the recitation from Holy Quran by Ar. Arif Changezi, Chairman IAP-KC who welcomed the participants and requested Chairman BAE-IAP Ar. Arshad Faruqui to formally begin the meeting proceedings. Ar. Arshad Faruqui invited Ar. Ali Zafar Qazi, President IAP for his opening remarks. Addressing the audience, Ar. Ali Zafar Qazi informed the participants that 18 institutions in Lahore had a successful meeting and discussed various issues. He highlighted the presence of Ar. Sadia Fazli, Registrar PCATP whose input was highly regarded at the meeting. He also assured that IAP and PCATP are now determined to work together for common causes.
Chairman BAE-IAP, Ar. Arshad Faruqui then invited all participants for their formal introduction. He commenced the discussion by emphasizing the participation of academicians in the activities of IAP so as to bridge the gap between IAP and BAE.
After listening and debating various issues as shared by all participants pertaining to grading criteria, senior jurors’ availability, faculty and student exchange programs, use of AutoCAD, resource sharing in the larger interest of cities, formation of semester rules, standardization of thesis report writing and many more.
Chairman BAE-IAP Ar. Arshad Faruqui then requested the Honorary Secretary to present a summary of all points as shared by all heads of schools so as to pick a focused agenda for next meeting. During tea-break, the summary was prepared and presented to the house who agreed on following points to be elaborated in detail in upcoming meetings:
• Prepare resource list of senior jurors as per their expertise and experience.
• Establish appropriate grading criteria to remove discrepancies in grading ratio between external and internal jurors.
• Define rules for externals and criteria for jurors selection
• Define rules for the use of AutoCAD at schools
• Develop mechanism for adopting schools for faculty/ students exchange program
• Explore the network of visiting faculty
The meeting concluded at a vote of thanks and all participants were entertained at lunch by IAP-KC.