Mehdi Ali Mirza Awards - April 2017
Mehdi Ali Mirza Awards are conferred by the Institute of Architects Pakistan (IAP) to the top achievers of graduating batches from the schools of Architecture in Pakistan every year. Convened by the Board of Architectural Education IAP, this year the Awards are conferred at Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad and Peshawar. Recently IAP Karachi Chapter and IAP Lahore Chapter hosted the ceremony during their IAPex on April 15, 2017 and April 26, 2017 respectively to confer the Mehdi Ali Mirza Awards to the recipients from the accredited schools under their respective Chapter domain.
The Mehdi Ali Mirza Award is named after a legend who laid down the foundation of professional architectural practice in a newly created country- Pakistan. Introduced in 1984 by the Institute of Architects Pakistan (IAP), this Award gives recognition each year to the students from each accredited architecture school within Pakistan who have excelled in their studies and graduated securing top position with the highest marks (Cumulative GPA of all five years) in their respective schools. Born in Hyderabad State, British India in 1910, Mehdi Ali Mirza was amongst the first generation of formally trained architects in Pakistan. Upon his migration to Pakistan immediately after the creation of the new state, he joined the Public Works Department. With his keen interest to promote the profession of Architecture in Pakistan, Mirza set about laying the foundations of the first institute in the country imparting professional architectural education, the Government School of Architecture. Eventually, with the assistance of few colleagues, he set up the Institute of Architects, Pakistan in 1950. On the occasion of his 13th death anniversary in 1984, IAP instituted Mehdi Ali Mirza Award; paying tribute to his lifelong service for the profession.
The Board of Architectural Education at IAP invited nominations for the Award from all accredited schools and received a total number of 19 nominations from 18 schools as follows:
IAP - Karachi Chapter (KC):
1. ZumraKanwal Ansari, Center of Excellence of Art and Design, MUET, Jamshoro
2. Naseeb Shah Mohammad, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro
3. Maria SajidZaheer, Dawood University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
4. UnaizaAsif, Department of Visual Studies, University of Karachi
5. SameenJaved, Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture, Karachi
6. ToobaKhaled, NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
7. TehreemSahir, Balochistan University of IT, Engineering and Management Sciences, Quetta
IAP - Lahore Chapter (LC):
1. Amber Fatima, College of Art and Design, University of the Punjab, AllamaIqbal Campus, Lahore
2. Mansoor Ahmed, COMSATS Institute of Information and Technology, Lahore
3. Syed Asmar - Ul - Hassan, COMSATS Institute of Information and Technology, Lahore
4. Shanaz Khan, National College of Arts, Lahore
5. VidadNaveed, University of South Asia, Lahore
6. Sana Akram, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore
7. FaizanAfzal, Superior University, Lahore
8. Muhammad SabeehAhsan, University of Management and Technology, Lahore
IAP – Rawalpindi Islamabad Chapter (RIC):
1. Huma Hamid, COMSATS Institute of Information and Technology, Islamabad
2. Samna Sadaf Khan, School of Art and Design, NUST, Islamabad
3. Saamee Sabah Mufti, School of Art and Design, NUST, Islamabad
IAP – Peshawar Chapter (PC):
1. Muhammad Zeshan, University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar (Abbottabad Campus)
2. Rizwan Aziz, CECOS University of IT and Emerging Sciences, Peshawar
The recipients of Mehdi Ali Mirza Award under IAP-KC domain were honored during IAPex Karachi on 16th April 2017. They received their awards from Vice President IAP Ar. AnjumAdil accompanied by Chairman BAE-IAP Ar. ArshadFaruqui and IAP-KC Chairman Ar. ArifChangezi.
At Lahore, the awards were conferred by renowned personalities from the field of Architecture in Pakistan, Ar. Pervaiz Vandal and Ar. Sajida Vandal who were accompanied by Chairman BAE-IAP Ar. ArshadFaruqui and IAPex Convener Ar. AzharSualehi on the stage. The Award ceremony at IAP –RIC and PC will take place in due course of time.