The BAE-IAP- KC- 2ndRoundtable of Schools of Architecture – October 2016
Second BAE-IAP Roundtable meeting in Karachi was held on October 15, 2016 at Sir Syed University of Engineering and Technology (SSUET), Karachi to which all heads of Architecture School in the province of Sindh and Baluchistan were invited. The meeting was hosted by Department of Architecture at SSUET. Under the premise of “Resource Sharing”, the meeting was set to discuss following items on agenda:
• Prepare resource list of senior jurors as per their expertise and experience
• Establish appropriate grading criteria to remove discrepancies in grading ratio between external and internal jurors
• Define rules for external and criteria for jurors’ selection
• Define rules for the use of AutoCAD at schools • Develop mechanism for adopting schools for faculty/ students exchange program
• Explore the network of visiting faculty
Following members attended the meeting.
1. Ar. Arshad Faruqui, Chairman Board of Architectural Education - Institute of Architects Pakistan
2. Ar. Arif Changezi, Chairman IAP-Karachi Chapter
3. Ar. Siknader Hayat Khan, Chairman Pakistan Council of Architects and Town Planners
4. Ar. Farida Abdul Ghaffar, Honorary Secretary, BAE-IAP
5. Ar. Fazal Noor, Sir Syed University of Engineering and Technology (SSUET), Karachi
6. Dr. Noman Ahmed, NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
7. Ar. Dr. Ali Akbar Hussain, Nazeer Hussain University (NHU), Karachi
8. Ar. / Plnr. Sadia Fazli, University of Karachi (KU)
9. Ar. Rabia Siddiqui, Dawood University of Engineering and Technology (DUET), Karachi
10. Ar. Azra Alvi, Balochistan University of IT, Engineering and Management Sciences (BUITEMS), Quetta
Leave of absence was granted to Ar. Sami Chohan, Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture (IVSAA), Karachi, Dr. Bhai Khan Sher, Center of Excellence in Art and Design (CEAD), Jamshoro and Ar. Muhammad Hashim Jokhio, Mehran UET, Jamshoro.
Chairman BAE-IAP Ar. Arshad Faruqui welcomed Chairman PCATP. He briefed the audience about BAE-IAP activities including recently announced First Photography Competition. He urged all HoDs to kindly follow the format of the competition and nominate maximum 5 students from their schools to take part in the competition. He informed the house that he represented Pakistan at ARCASIA roundtable conference of Boards of Architectural Education held in HongKong in October 2016. He happily shared that entries and presentations made from Pakistan were outstanding as those were well prepared and well presented. The focused group meetings and roundtable meetings frequently held at BAE-IAP forum were also appreciated and other member countries were asked to follow the pattern. Ar. Arshad Faruqui said that due to having academic awards under BAE banner, it helps to develop a direct link with educational institutions across Pakistan and also thesis projects submitted for Awards are archived for further review and deliberation leading towards thesis-standardization. It was also highlighted at ARCASIA meeting and was much appreciated.
While discussing the faculty training programs, Ar. Arshad Faruqui emphasized that most of the participants were not able to express themselves properly. He urged the need of training them for public speaking for which he had discussion with Ar. Prof. Nuno Soares in Honk Kong and requested him to design a training workshop to groom communication skills of young faculty members. He also suggested for a silent recording of all participating faculty on the first day so as to evaluate the growth in their communication skill at the end of the workshop. Since Chairman IAP-RIC, Ar. Ateeq was present in the panel so he offered to host it in Islamabad in January 2017. Islamabad was preferred as commuting from various parts of Pakistan to Islamabad is more economical and convenient for the majority, he said. Ar. Arshad Faruqui also updated the house with the frequency of Hods roundtable meetings at various Chapters. He said that IAP-Lahore Chapter was able to conduct only one meeting. Karachi Chapter was having second. No meeting was organized by IAP-RI Chapter as few schools did not agree to hold such meetings. Since there are only two Schools under Peshawar Chapter, they were supposed to join Islamabad Chapter meetings.
Chairman BAE-IAP concluded his remarks while informing the house that first photography competition exhibition will be held in December 2016 or January 2017. The floor was made open for discussion. Ar. Fazal Noorfrom hosting institution suggested Honorary Secretary BAE-IAP, Ar. Farida Gahffar to act as coordinator, record and facilitate the meeting proceedings and form a Whatsapp group of the Hods. The participants then deliberated in details the agenda of the meeting.